Monday, June 14, 2010

Are we halfway through June, already! The month of May has come and gone; and taken with it all the excitement of weddings, (milestone) birthdays, another anniversary, special visitors , and provided so many amazing memories. As usual food left an unforgettable taste in my mouth.
I was spoiled with a birthday dinner for two at" Milestones" in Burlington, and a meal at our favourite Italian eatery in Grimsby; "Cibo Osteria E Caffe " marked the date of 23 years of wedded bliss. See the photo?That's what 23 years looks like.
At Milestones I devoured my usual goat cheese and roasted garlic ; with a trio of toppings on warm pita triangles with no regrets. Oh, so mouthwatering, tender prime rib with comforting, garlic mashed potatoes did not disappoint. Delectable!! I can't forget the signature cocktail with its refreshing fruity flavour-the signature Bellini, which cannot be duplicated, believe me I'd love to recreate that one. Any suggestions ??

I revelled in the "choose your own pasta" option at Cibo, ordering linguini with alfredo sauce, chicken, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers, mushrooms and zucchini. Delizioso!

That reminds me of Sunday's dinner about two weeks ago. A meal spent
with friends on the deck, enjoying gorgeous weather. A recipe found in an unlikely place. Glow magazine finally had something worth reading. "Summer 2010-15 delicious bbq recipes"
As "luck" would have it, I'd bought a chicken and couldn't wait to try a new recipe or two.
The grill was preheated,the chicken prepped with olive oil and various herbs, one or two home-grown chilies and situated just so, on a can of beer. Leaving strict instructions with the men outside, my friend and I reluctantly left the deck. The portabellos, brown rice risotto and salad needed our attention. In between ladles of steaming broth, I stole worried glances through my patio door, but everything seemed okay...
The table was laid with brilliant new dishes, surrounded with loved ones and of course food. Dinner is served... mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and spinach ; grilled in foil "kisses". Creamy risotto with asparagus, the old favourite caesar salad and of course the golden grilled tuscan chicken. As I'd hoped, everyone agreed it was tender,juicy and full of flavour. Then I'd literally just taken my last bite when a few giggles escaped the men. They regaled us with the latest adventures of the poultry...the case of faulty tongs, one slippery chicken, a dog's dream captured; but of course not the incompetence of the male cook!
My fears were realized and thinking back I had noticed the slightly battered appearance the chicken had taken on; but, no it couldn't have! Apparently, our dog had the first taste of beer/herb- encrusted chicken ,yes it did fall onto the deck where my husband did learn to improvise...thankfully. Still, I can't believe I didn't notice, sneaky guys!
I kept telling myself to remember the thirty second rule! Will there be a next time?Definitely, but maybe; I should keep my eye on the bird!



A recipe to try this summer:

Tuscan Beer-Can Chicken
2 tbsp each dried sage and rosemary leaves(I used fresh,but about 1/2 cup each)
2 tsp each dried basil,thyme, & fennel seeds
1/2 to 1 tsp dried chili flakes
pinch of salt
3 lb whole chicken
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can of beer
1) Mix seasonings and salt together. Rub chicken with olive oil and half the herb mixture.
2)Remove the top of the beer can with a can opener and "discard" half the beer.Stir in remaining herbs.
3)Prep barbecue for indirect grilling. Preheat to medium then turn off one side. Ideal temperature about 300'-325'F
4)Carefully place chicken over can so legs point down.Place on the side of the grill that is now off.Grill, rotating every 15 minutes or so. Carefully!
takes 1 -1/4 to1-1/2 hours. Thermometer should read 175'F in thigh.
5)Remove and let chicken rest on cutting board for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.

Source:Glow summer 2010
Photo taken by waitress at Cibo


Check out one of my favourite blogs: Orangette.blogspot.com
I love the parmesan & lemon chickpea recipe !





No comments:

Post a Comment